Celebrations in P3E

This term in P3E we have been learning about different celebrations. We have learned about the Hindu festival of Diwali, Thanksgiving and St. Andrew’s day.

We learned about the story of Rama and Sita and why that is important to Hindus. We made clay diwa lamps, baked coconut squares, and painted beautiful Rangoli patterns.

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

For Thanksgiving we talked a little about why North Americans celebrate it, but we mainly used it as an opportunity to discuss things that we are thankful for. Although it is not celebrated in the UK it is good for the children to practise gratitude, even at this young age. The boys and girls wrote beautiful mini essays on the things that they were thankful for.

These included:
“My bed because it is cosy and I do not have to sleep on the floor.”

“I am thankful for my Dad’s camera because it helps me to remember things.”

“I am thankful for hospitals because some people can’t afford to pay the hospital but in Britain we don’t have to pay any money.”

“I am thankful for my brother because he plays fair.”

“I am thankful for my mum because she makes food for me.”

“I am thankful for Sunnybank School because not everyone gets to go to school and learn.”

It was lovely to see that so many children focussed on things that were not material objects.

We also made a thanksgiving turkey craft.

image

We also had a great time celebrating St Andrew’s Day. We learned a new song called “Ma, Ma, Will You Buy Me A”, which we performed at the infant department St Andrew’s assembly.

image

We learned how to weave paper strips to make tartan and painted tartan patterns too. They look fab!

image

image

image

image