Interview of a life time!

In Health and Well-Being with Mr McPherson Primary 7 have been exploring the ‘World of Work’ and were set the challenge of interviewing a family member about their job and what they do. One of our P7 took the activity and added her own twist by getting in touch with one of their role models! Freya reached out to Broadway musical star Erin Clemons and interviewed her about being what it is like to be a Broadway actor!

Here is her interview….

An Interview with Erin Clemons By Freya Foy

Erin Elizabeth Clemons is a Broadway actor from Oklahoma. Here is what happened when I got in touch with her!

Hey there! How are you? It’s so nice to get to talk to you!
Thank you! I’m doing great. I’m excited to answer these questions!

I’m excited to ask them! I know you’re probably very busy at the moment, so I’m just going to get on with the questions. So, to kick things off, what is your job right now?
Right now, I’m an actress. I made my Broadway debut in 2015 when I played Eponine in Les Miserable. Later on, I joined some more well-known shows like ‘Beautiful: The Carole King musical’ and ‘Prince of Broadway’. I now play Eliza in Hamilton on Broadway and I am an understudy for Angelica, Peggy and Maria.

That sounds so awesome! Would you mind going into a little bit more detail about working in musicals?
I work mostly in musical theatre, which means I perform 8 times a week. All the shows include a wide variety of singing, dancing and acting.

Sounds pretty tiring! Do you enjoy it?
I love my job and can’t imagine doing anything else, although sometimes the long hours with rehearsal and having one day off a week can be tiresome! I do love theatre though!

I assume that would be the same with most of your fellow actors too! I’m so thankful you do work so hard, though, because it lets musical fans like me enjoy your performances even more! What did you want to be when you were younger?
I wanted to be a ballerina when I was little, mostly the Snow Queen in the Nutcracker. I suppose that love of dance has stayed with me!

Oh yes! It’s interesting to see you’ve always been interested in performing. It’s actually really inspiring to see that you followed your dream! Of course, there will be challenges that come with it too. What do you think is the biggest one?
This is a tough question, but I think the biggest challenge is not being able to see family and friends or go to events like weddings because of limited time off. 

So with all that being said, would you recommend your job?
I would recommend a life in theatre ONLY if you love it and are passionate about it. That is all that will sustain the work ethic it takes to maintain!

Thank you so much for doing this with me! It really helps! Please stay safe, and keep smiling!
You too!