Sunnybank School, a substantial granite building built on three levels, is situated in a mainly residential area in the north east of the city, approximately 3 miles from the city centre and very close to the university. The catchment area includes a wide range of accommodation of both private and local authority housing. Sunnybank School has pupils from many different countries and cultures, many of whom are learning English as an Additional Language (EAL).
Sunnybank School first opened in 1906 and has undergone a number of changes, including a sizable extension to the original building, to become the building we know today.
The mainstream primary section has approximately 260 children. Sunnybank School has 6 nurseries comprising of 3 part time morning (20 places each), one part time after noon (20 places) and two part time afternoon (16 places including 4 hearing impaired places each). There is also a Language Development Unit and a Hearing Impaired Unit. Pupils attend the specialist units from all areas of the city.
Primary 7 pupils, through the Parent Charter, feed primarily to St Machar Academy, St Machar Drive, . Pupils are involved in a significant programme of transition activities from primary 6 in preparation for their move to the academy.
We share the building with Aberdeen School for the Deaf, the English as an Additional Language Service, the Reading Bus, Aberdeen Urban Studies and a well-established Community Learning and Development facility.
The accommodation at Sunnybank School is presently used for the following purposes:
Language Development Unit
Main School Office
Support for Learning Base
Depute Head Teachers’ Office
School Nurse/Doctor’s Room
Three Nursery Classrooms
A Nurture Room
Head Teachers Office
Community Learning Dept
Aberdeen School for the Deaf
English as an Additional Language Service
Aberdeen Urban Studies
For further information about Sunnybank school, please see Sunnybank Primary Handbook 2015 (518 downloads)